25 July 2016 - Ambleside Ambulance Station Re-Opens

Photo 1

Ambleside Ambulance Station has officially been re-opened by its staff after being forced to temporarily close when it was devastated by the floods back in December.

When the floods hit Cumbria just before Christmas last year, Ambleside station along with many other homes and business in the county became quickly submerged in the rising water levels. Staff at the station found equipment and clinical materials floating in around a metre of water and they along with the vehicles had to be re-located to the nearest Mountain Rescue Base.

The station has flooded twice before over the years but this time around it has had to undergo extensive refurbishment to dry it out and repair the damage left behind.

Over half a year later all the repair works are now complete and the staff and equipment have moved back in and pleased to be back in their own base. Coincidentally this re-opening is almost thirty years to the day when the station was first opened on the 4 July 1986.  

NWAS Operations Manager Graham Cassels said: “I would like to thank everyone for all their effort and hard work over the last six months and it is fantastic that we are now finally back. The length of time it has taken to get the station back up and running shows just how much damage the flood water caused.

“Our staff have dealt with the disruption superbly and we would also like to extend our appreciation to our colleagues at the Mountain rescue for opening up their base to us whilst the work was ongoing to get the station back up and running.”

As Cumbria bore the brunt of the catastrophic weather North West Ambulance Service staff went to extraordinary efforts to continue to report to work and volunteered to return to work in the difficult conditions to reach patients and those stranded by the rising water levels. This was whilst their own homes, villages and communities were in peril.

Some examples of the dedication to duty from staff included those that couldn’t get home sleeping in local hospitals, others waded through waist deep water just to get to work and many came in just to help out and support their colleagues.