COVID-19 – Processing patient information during the outbreak
During the outbreak of COVID-19 the trust is expected to introduce a number of new processing of patient level data for purposes below.
This processing may be undertaken directly by the Trust or other health care bodies such as NHS Digital as per the order of the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care.
- Understanding COVID-19 and risks to public health, trends in COVID-19 and such risks, and controlling and preventing the spread of COVID-19 and such risks
- identifying and understanding information about patients or potential patients with or at risk of COVID-19, information about incidents of patient exposure to COVID-19 and the management of patients with or at risk of COVID-19 including: locating, contacting, screening, flagging and monitoring such patients and collecting information about and providing services in relation to testing, diagnosis, self-isolation, fitness to work, treatment, medical and social interventions and recovery from COVID-19
- understanding information about patient access to health services and adult social care services as a direct or indirect result of COVID-19 and the availability and capacity of those services
- monitoring and managing the response to COVID-19 by health and social care bodies and the Government including providing information to the public about COVID-19 and its effectiveness and information about capacity, medicines, equipment, supplies, services and the workforce within the health services and adult social care services
- delivering services to patients, clinicians, the health services and adult social care services workforce and the public about and in connection with COVID-19, including the provision of information, fit notes and the provision of health care and adult social care services
- research and planning in relation to COVID-19.
This sharing of information ensures that as an organisation we can operate through the continued monitoring of our availability, capacity of services, and provide national reporting .
We will be sharing the COVID-19 data with several organisations who are authorised by the Secretary of state to receive and process the information.
We however will only process information under lawful conditions.
The processing for COVID-19 is expected to cease on the 30th of September 2020.
Information collection and use
North West Ambulance Service does not store or collect any personal information about site users. The system will record your email address and other information only if volunteered to us by you. This information shall be treated as confidential. It may only be used for internal review and to contact you regarding any feedback.
What we may collect
- Your name and job title
- Contact information including email address and telephone
- Your address and postcode
- Personal and contact information provided on behalf of award nominees
Any email address data collected is never passed on to any third parties.
See the how we use your personal information for details on what we do with your personal clinical information, which is specifically aimed at children and adults and Accessing your information held by NWAS.
- Information Commissioners Office – As the independent arbiter of information rights, the Information Commissioner has been charged with regulating the new rules for websites aimed at UK consumers.
- AboutCookies.org – More information about cookies, including how to manage or delete them.
- Directgov – Manage cookies yourself and learn more about them with this advice from Directgov
Notification of changes
North West Ambulance Service reserves the right to change the privacy statement without notice. It is the responsibility of users to check this privacy statement regularly.
Last Updated – This is Version 2.0 of the NWAS Staff Privacy Notice and was published on 3rd April 2020. This version will be reviewed by September 2020.