Vomiting and diarrhoea are common in adults, children and babies. They’re often caused by a stomach bug and should stop in a few days.
The advice is the same if you have diarrhoea and vomiting together or separately. You can usually treat yourself or your child at home. The most important thing is to have lots of fluids to avoid dehydration.
- stay at home and get plenty of rest
- drink lots of fluids, such as water or squash – take small sips if you feel sick
- carry on breast or bottle feeding your baby – if they’re being sick, try giving small feeds more often than usual
- give babies on formula or solid foods small sips of water between feeds
- eat when you feel able to – you do not need to eat or avoid any specific foods
- take paracetamol if you’re in discomfort – check the leaflet before giving it to your child
- do not have fruit juice or fizzy drinks – they can make diarrhoea worse