Our Education and Training team now delivers a new qualification for EMT1 staff. This qualification forms part of an Apprenticeship Standard, which has been developed in partnership across all the ambulance services in the UK.
NWAS has taken the opportunity to use existing Apprenticeship Frameworks, with the following exemplar roles employed as Apprentices:
- 1 Mechanic Apprentice; that has now progressed from a level 2 and started his Level 3
- 2 ICT Level 4 Apprentices;
Existing employees can also undertake apprenticeships as part of their development. Apprenticeship programme examples are:
- EOC staff undertaking level 3 apprenticeship programmes in customer service, team leading, management, business administration and learning and development
- EOC staff undertaking level 4 apprenticeship in business administration
- Finance staff completed the level 3 AAT apprenticeship qualification successfully
- HR staff undertaking level 3 apprenticeships in business administration and management
- HR training staff undertaking level 5 apprenticeship management qualifications
- 1 fleet member of staff undertaking levels 2 and 3 in Diploma in Business Administration, Diploma in Team leading, Diploma in Management, Vehicle Maintenance, Advanced Apprenticeship in Management.
As a trust, we’ve played an important part nationally in supporting the ambulance sector to develop apprenticeships which will enhance the education and development of our staff, and we’re also working with national groups to develop qualifications and apprenticeship standards for other roles across ambulance services, which should be available in the future such as:
- Paramedic degree apprenticeship
- Level 3 ambulance care support worker
- Level 3 emergency services contact handler apprenticeship